Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Lost Love



Lost Love
The snow fell gently today as I strolled down the narrow paths in the old town where we used to meet, the large billowy snowflakes gathered on and around me, I did not attempt to brush them off
I wanted to see you again, even if from a distance and you were with her
I carried the morning’s paper announcing your upcoming nuptials, and felt the weeping of my heart
 I tried to control my tears seeing the images of you on the crumpled paper, holding the hand of a stranger
I searched the image for the courage that had once been in your eyes, and saw only the likeness of a person I used to know.

The caption read that all the towns finest would be in attendance, and I wondered what one would have to acquire or accomplish to be considered the finest
 I passed the tavern, the cafĂ© and all the quaint shops we used to visit and was not brave enough to go inside

I pulled my wrap close as the snow continued to fall
The soft crystal like flakes melted into the crevices of stones on the path we once strolled, and I sat on the wooden bench at the edge of town, smoothing out the paper to see your face again

This is where I will say good-by my lost love, I will leave you here with the history, the charm and the bench where we used to hold hands, and I will let you fade from memory, just as the images on these pages are now fading with the melting snow

No comments: